Forum Home Search Login Register
+  Landlord Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Finance
| | |-+  DHSS payments question

DHSS payments question

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DHSS payments question  (Read 771 times)
Posts: 1

I like property

« on: December 23, 2017, 06:36:58 PM »

My daughter is in a rental property, and has been for about 4 years continously.
Rent is paid monthly, via a letting agent, with me  as gaurentor. . We have no problems with landlord, and no problems with agent.

The problem is this. The daughters partner has recently lost his job, and has been forced to sign on.
The contract ran out in September, and DHSS insist on seeing a contract before paying Housing Benefit. We have had to get a new tenancy contract, and DHSS will only pay out from date of new contract, even though the tenancy has been in place for a number of years.
Now the problem is that I, as bank of dad, would like to think that common sense would prevvail and DHSS would pay from start of claim, rather than date of contract.
Or is it too much to expect sense from a Gov't department?
Does anybody have any hints or links to documents that we  could take to council to further our case please?
Global Moderator
Hero Member
Posts: 511

Permanently stressed out

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 07:44:23 AM »

You havent provided quite enough information.
Can I infer (if not then please provide more information)... that said partner was not named on the original lease?
If not are you able to provide any documentable proof at all he was living in the property?

Also can you provide information as to his contribution towards rent or his payment of any rent to your daughter?
[if not then Is that why you got a new contract?]

Sense from a governmental department?  More likely to find a unicorn in your back garden, wearing a tutu and playing a harmonica.
Especially when it means paying out more benefits than they otherwise would need to.

I had a tenant in a similar situation but I added her name into an existing lease not create a new one - but that is probably too late for you now,

If you cant prove he was contributing to the rent then Im afraid you are stuck.

Best of luck.

Pages: [1]