Forum Home Search Login Register
+  Landlord Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Landlord Advice & Help
| | |-+  Ordering maintenance, not lisenced

Ordering maintenance, not lisenced

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ordering maintenance, not lisenced  (Read 1276 times)
Posts: 1

I like property

« on: November 04, 2019, 07:46:31 PM »

Hello. My partner and I currently let out a flat in Wales. She is from the UK and I am not. We are resident outside the UK, and have a letting agency manage the property. We have been informed by the letting agency that there is an issue with the boiler and as they cannot find what it is, they want to replace the whole thing. For various reasons we are lacking in confidence about their maintenance section. I would like to get in an independent certified engineer to have a look at it. But my partner informs me that this would be an offence, since we are not licensed. And you can only get maintenance in for a property you own if you are licensed.

Can this be correct?  We can't get a second opinion from a qualified engineer because we are not licensed?
Accidental Landlord
Jr. Member
Posts: 71

Just trying my best

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 02:48:04 PM »

Not licensed in what way? Finding out what the problem is with your boiler should not be dependent on your resident/tax status and as you have an agent, you may instruct them to find a certified engineer to assess your current boiler. I have boiler/central heating insurances so any problems an engineer goes out to check, it's worth the cost especially if you are non resident and rely on an agent. Of course they will want to replace the whole thing ... using their own people no doubt and charge a lot more for the privilege.
I've not heard of being able to get maintenance for property if you're not licensed .... only if you own a HMO - is that what your flat is? If it is and you are not licensed then you do have more problems than the boiler I'm afraid.
Jr. Member
Posts: 65

People can be funny.. so keep laughing.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:28:14 PM »

Sounds like the agency is trying to farm out work to "preferred" suppliers.. as they often do..

If the pilot light was in need of a new 2.50 gas cap and they removed the complete boiler and fitted you a new one it would cost you silly money, and they'd probably just laugh about it.. get a second opinion, you don't need a licence to be sensible...

Maybe you do need a new boiler, maybe you don't.. but you be the judge of that, not your "friendly" agency.. move fast or they'll pressure you to authorise them to have the work done now..!
Jr. Member
Posts: 75

I like property

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »

Landlords need to be licensed in Wales to do regular landlord type things like arrange maintenance or collect the rent. Irrespective of that though it is not unreasonable to suggest they use another plumber and get a second quote.
Pages: [1]