Forum Home Search Login Register
+  Landlord Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Landlord Advice & Help
| | |-+  Electrical certificate testing wait or negotiate?

Electrical certificate testing wait or negotiate?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electrical certificate testing wait or negotiate?  (Read 72 times)
Posts: 6

Landlord newbie

« on: September 03, 2020, 09:52:14 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm very near to exchanging on my first BTL property. However, the seller has failed to provide a EICR certificate and with the current COVID climate it can take a further 3/4 weeks to have it tested.

Therefore, I have a couple of options:

a)  Wait 3/4/5 weeks for the buyer to have electrical testing conducted on the flat, giving me peace of mind before selling. It hasn't been confirmed that they will pay for it though.


b) Go through with the exchange, arrange for the EICR myself & prior to exchanging  negotiate a retention sum incase any electrical work does need to be done. Can anyone direct me to an average cost if a flat were to be rewired?

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Global Moderator
Hero Member
Posts: 3617

I like lots of things

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »

I think we covered this before... a normal home owner is under no obligation to have the thing you want. The Vendor here probably has not a care in the world that you are a Landlord and it is a requirement for you. Most people just buy houses (second-hand ones anyway) on the assumption they did a couple of tests when they viewed and are relatively happy that things are OK. This really all depends on how desperate the Vendor is to please you and not risk you walking away over such a thing. Is there a valid reason for you to have a certificate even if you weren't a Landlord? Sure, but it's not that normal a request.

You assume the Vendor has plans... and timescales of their own... so you, as the strong link of the chain (if there is one) can exert some power and play some brinkmanship, I suppose... just probably don't dig your heels in so far that you can't pull them out again. I did this once over being provided two key fobs for an underground garage to an apartment... the Vendor really, really hated me - kept saying the apartment only ever came with one but I refused to budge... I held out and got my two key fobs (saving me 70 and no small amount of admin. effort) but I made an enemy that day. Sadly, we'd been in direct contact so he had my phone number and email...

I still chuckle at the frothing.
Pages: [1]